Giving Thanks (inspired by)


Thanks be to God, Father, Son and Spirit, for the abundance of good things he pours on His children.
We are but few, but His blessings are many.

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Surviving the last days of winter

We are all a little wiggly and cabin-crazy these days! Today it was all of 36 degrees out, but SUNNY, and we all agreed it was the perfect day to go to the park!

Not at all to my surprise, having a new puppy is kind of like having a newborn baby in the house! I must say Copper seems very smart, and we are having very few problems with the house-training. However, she just constantly wants to be with the rest of the family, and so she is still whining and crying during the night in her cage. It is a strange experience for me, as Josh is the one getting up with this "baby."

She is perfectly submissive to everyone in the family with one exception: Eldon. She seems to think he is a puppy just like she is. And the more Josh and I think about it, the more we understand how she could get confused. It is almost like those two are at the same developmental stage. They seem to like the same toys... And they get in the same type of trouble... I have said to each of them this week: "Don't eat dried play dough off the floor!" "Quit chewing on that shoe!" (Or piece of paper, or rug, or sock, or remote control...) They both fuss when they don't get enough attention, they love to be snuggled and carried around, and they can't seem to get enough of the older kids! (Though the older kids often have enough of each of them!)


Eldon has learned the baby sign for "dog," and is now constantly sticking out his tongue and panting. He has added his own creative touch in his excitement over the puppy- he is usually panting and flapping his arms at the same time!

Oh, Seth and his notions of propriety! We were watching ice skating the other night, and of course Lorraine was starry-eyed over the glitter and girly-ness of it all. Seth sat there with an ugly look, obviously thinking "I just don't see the point of this." I asked Lorraine if she thought she could do that (no mommy!) Then, Seth looked at me and said firmly, "Mommy, you may NOT do that!" He seemed to think it was something that I would attempt, so he made sure to forbid me in very strong terms.

Here's Marcus, using the letter L like it is a gun! Whatever it is that makes a boy a boy, I think Marcus got a double dose of it!

Black-eyed Aggie, once again! This time it was because she decided to get involved with the first graders and their pillow fight... perhaps they were a little out of her league. I didn't think they put rocks in their pillows but maybe I missed something!

Little Eldon and Enola- what buddies! I don't know if it is because they are so close to the same size or what, but when Enola is around I am constantly grabbing my camera saying "OHHHH they are SOOOO CUTE!!!"

I agree with the children, spring can come any time now! As Aggie says several times throughout the day, "DearGodPleaseMakeAllTheSnowGoAway. PleaseSendtheSunAndtheGreenGrassAmen." Amen, Aggie!

2 comments:

Ann H. said...

Oh my goodness, Copper is SOOO adorable!

I agree with Aggie, spring can come any day. Winters are supposed to be mild here in Wichita, but not this year. It's the first time in 122 years that Wichita has not hit 60 degrees between Dec. 1 and Feb. 28. I moved here to get AWAY from these kinds of winters! :P It must be global warming...

Emily Cook said...

BRRRR I sure do hate global warming!!!!