Giving Thanks (inspired by)


Thanks be to God, Father, Son and Spirit, for the abundance of good things he pours on His children.
We are but few, but His blessings are many.

Sunday, April 17, 2011

rock vs. puppet

Saturday evening


In my living room, Elmo squeaks a cheerful little ditty.
Eldon sucks on his fingers, clutches his blankie, and giggles.
In my basement, little girls play dress up and and exchange silly bands.

Outside my window, a crowd gathers by the side of a grave.

When sweet babies are afraid, shall I not assure them that all is well?  I buckle seat belts and dice hotdogs, yet I persistently shower my children with phony, smiley optimism, wanting so badly to convince them, to convince myself, that this world is fundamentally safe.

But today, that seems so...  futile.  My voice squeaks like Elmo's, and the fluffy red puppet does not comfort.


Smile!  Elmo loves you!



Hear my cry, O God;
   listen to my prayer.
From the ends of the earth I call to you,
   I call as my heart grows faint;
   lead me to the rock that is higher than I. 
Psalm 61:1-2

3 comments:

Melrose said...

sigh...I hear you friend. Today was a very rough day in our household...between this post and the one you just posted I think that hit it right on. First i am completely overwhelmed by perceived NEEDS in my household (some of which are, some aren't) and second because of the fears, loneliness, and brokeness of this world. Come soon Lord Jesus, and thanks for the elmo smile...just a little reminder to keep putting one foot in front of the other...faith of a child right?

Emily Cook said...

Yes, PERCEIVED needs.. I perceive that I need to remember that word :)

Elmo definitely has his place, as does coffee and just soaking up a nice spring morning. We are here in the valley and that is terribly sad, but God does give us gifts and graces to help us keep going.

But sometimes it just seems like there is a whole lotta sadness going on. :( And so we wait.

Melrose said...

Spring...sigh, how I long for thee! I'm looking at 5 inches of freshly fallen winter outside added to the 10 we got last thursday. sigh. soon enough! It's supposed to get up to 59 next week!!!

And so we wait indeed...what an appropriate week for waiting :) Oh Come Lord Jesus!!