Giving Thanks (inspired by)


Thanks be to God, Father, Son and Spirit, for the abundance of good things he pours on His children.
We are but few, but His blessings are many.

Saturday, April 2, 2011

heavy lifting

I remember back in the day when I ran track and so forth, I also had time to spend in the weightroom.  I had no idea how much my high school arms could lift, so I'd start with something small and do a few reps until my arms burned. 

But sometimes, I'd see a friend able to handle something five times the weights I had, so I'd give it a try.  One rep, maybe two, and I would be sufficiently humbled.  Back to my puny weights I'd go, and they would feel even lighter than before.


I feel that way today, being home with only my own six children, who suddenly feel lighter than before.

Six children feel light after having ten in the house all week long! Dear friends from college came for a visit with their four children. What fun, what chaos, what noise we had!


Our "quivers" combined!
I wish this picture could communicate the incredible noise, the crunchy food all over the floor, and the sheer energy level that almost brought the house down!

Friendship that can survive distance, change, and child after child; friendship that can survive losing touch only to find it again in the midst of noisy chaos; friendship that dares to mix this many children together and then watches the children become natural friends just like the parents-- it is a precious gift from our God!



3 comments:

Melrose said...

This post brought such a smile to my face. Growing so very close to friends at the seminary and then leaving them behind was pure torture.

One of my dearest friends has 6 kids and I am expecting our 5th (4th living). She is planning to come for the birth of this child and bring her 6 children along. I can hardly wait. Even though we only see each other about once a year, it's like we're together every day when we finally see each other again. Oh how blessed our reunions will be in heaven when we are all together every day :) God bless our dear true friends in Christ.

Ramona Porter said...

Hi Emily! I just figured out where I know you from!

Our paths cross once again!

We left CTSFW in 2006. I was the Director of the Food Co-op.

Emily Cook said...

SG: Oh cool! I was not very involved in seminary life as we lived in southern MI still (that is when I worked at the CPC!) We were done at CTSFW in 2008! :)

Melrose: You are so right; their visit also made me look forward to that finaly joyful reunion- how nice of our Lord to give us little tastes of it here below!