Giving Thanks (inspired by)


Thanks be to God, Father, Son and Spirit, for the abundance of good things he pours on His children.
We are but few, but His blessings are many.

Friday, August 22, 2014

prayers for eldon...


Oh Eldon, kindergarten is still hard for you.

Again, you needed "rocking chair time" before school. You've been worrying about school today since yesterday morning. I snuggled you and I made sure to give you a "kissing hand." You giggled as I described my love going from the kiss through your arm and warming up your heart. Then you remembered our coming parting, and you cried. I just held you, wishing I could make you smile and keep the tears away. And then down through the hallway came the words that would do just that.  Marcus, in his deep scratchy voice, singing "Oh baby you got what I need..." You smirked, and I smirked, and we giggled. I said, "I wonder if he'll sing that to his teacher when he goes to school today?" and you were cracking up imagining that. Marcus heard us laughing and was happy to have an audience. He came in the room with his sunglasses and his "air guitar" (toy guitar) and sang to us.

When your ride came, the tears came, and I hate that more than you know. The kissing hand wasn't enough, and you howled.  On the outside I'm calm and reassuring, but inside my heart is breaking for you. Oh my dear Eldon! As the van pulled out of the driveway, I saw you sitting on your sister's lap, looking toward me, toward your safe warm home where you'd rather be, with a pathetic, tear-streaked face.

But I know God is with you. I thought about that as we snuggled during devotions this morning. When we read God's Word together, we're not just filling you full of ideas. It's so much more than that. Jesus is not an idea, He's a person, and you are connected to Him, and He abides with you.

Jesus, hold my reluctant kindergartener close to you today!


No comments: