Giving Thanks (inspired by)


Thanks be to God, Father, Son and Spirit, for the abundance of good things he pours on His children.
We are but few, but His blessings are many.

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

My adrenaline rush for the day!

Today I got ambitious and decided to take Aggie and Eldon out to the library. I drove Moby of course, and even found a parking place without a problem. After checking out all the books, we loaded everything in the stroller and headed for the elevator. I crammed myself in with the huge stroller and Aggie, and we pushed the button to go to the main level.

All of a sudden, we heard a loud CLUNK that almost knocked Aggie off her feet. Then the thing stopped, no buttons would light up or anything. AAHHH! And of course Eldon was crying BEFORE we got on the elevator, so this didn't help! I pushed the alarm bell a few times.....
silence and more silence... so I picked up the emergency phone that connects to 911. After a few "hello, are you there? can you hear me"s I said "Apparently we are stuck in the elevator." "OK, help is on the way!" Of course in the background, Eldon is crying and Aggie is repeating "Mommy, when can we go? I want to watch Peter Pan mommy! When can we go mommy?"

Here I am with a crying newborn and a seizure waiting to happen... picturing myself trying to lift them up out of the emergency hatch at the top of the elevator! Boy, it was getting hot in there! Was it just me or was there no air coming in here?!

What could I do? I began making the best of waiting (and glad for my nerves sake I had Aggie's emergency meds right with us just in case!) We got out some books (thank goodness we had already checked out), and I read to Aggie for a bit while attempting to nurse a fussy baby.

We read and Eldon fussed and we read some more. Then without a bit of warning, the door opened and we were still on the lower level. I jumped a mile... I hadn't felt the need to be modest up until that very second! I was glad nobody was there waiting for us.

I walked out to the desk and none of the staff had any idea we had been stuck in the elevator. (I think we were only in there about 15 minutes- long enough!) Of course I told them, said if the paramedics arrived they would know why, and strongly recommended that somebody check out that elevator! A nice young man kindly carried my stroller up the stairs for us- I was not getting back in that thing!

So beware if you go to the library!

No comments: