Giving Thanks (inspired by)


Thanks be to God, Father, Son and Spirit, for the abundance of good things he pours on His children.
We are but few, but His blessings are many.

Thursday, May 14, 2009

a joyful heart

I am stealing a moment of quiet this morning while the kids watch "Super Why." The past two days have been slightly better with Aggie, though I think my standard for "good days" is changing. In short, she hasn't turned blue since her last apnic seizure at Kohls on monday. Number wise her seizures are the same or worse, but now I am just grateful to see her breathing!

"A joyful heart is good medicine, but a broken spirit dries up the bones." We have a silly kids video from the 80s that puts this Bible verse to music, complete with a dancing clown that cheers a child up in the hospital. This is Aggie's most favorite song on this video and she typically cannot contain herself when it is on. Yesterday we were watching the movie and she had just had a couple seizures- her eyes lit up when she saw this song come on, but her brain was not able to keep up with the words so that she could sing along, much less dance. (She often has trouble finding words on bad seizure days- this seems to come and go.) She sat next to me and stared at the tv, then off into space.

As I saw that happening I felt the grief welling up again, but as I sat there with Aggie I felt the Lord encouraging me. Aggie has always been a playful joy-bringer, ever since she was a baby. She has always been the kind of kid who lights up a room, who starts a party everywhere she goes. She is going through a rough time now now, but the words are still true "A joyful heart is good medicine." Perhaps the joy and energy that normally comes from her can encourage her when it comes from other people.

As I think of this, I know I have seen it happen already. When daddy comes home every day, all the kids get excited, but Aggie ALWAYS drops what she is doing and runs with all her might to him, giving him the biggest hug she has inside. He likes to tease and play with the kids, and nobody appreciates teasing more than Aggie. And yesterday Katie came to play with the kids- yes, Aggie had four short seizures in the two hours Katie was here, but so what? She and all the other kids absolutely loved running and wrestling around with her.

That was good medicine for her and for all of us!

Lord, help me be a joy-bringer to my little girl today. Thank you for all the others you have sent into our lives to care for this family during this time, bringing us food and encouragement, playfulness and joy. As we all walk with Aggie through this valley, may we continue to remember Your promises and Your love for us that allows us to "rejoice always."

No comments: