Giving Thanks (inspired by)


Thanks be to God, Father, Son and Spirit, for the abundance of good things he pours on His children.
We are but few, but His blessings are many.

Thursday, March 21, 2013

To Seth, on your seventh birthday

Dear Seth,
On your seventh birthday,

Two of my favorite moments with you in the past month:

Helping you choose a library book
The girls flew through the fiction section and loaded their arms with fairy stories and puppy stories and books about horses. I told you that you are old enough fora chapter book, and with a satisfied air, you agreed. We began our book hunt in the fiction section, where the girls had had so much success.  I suggested book after book, and you shook your head. I tried not to insult you by suggesting anything with unicorns or mermaids, but you rejected everything that seemed even the slightest bit whimsical.

Finally you chose a book about a train. It was three hundred pages long and about a fifteen-year-old and his struggle through the Great Depression. I gently put it back, and we walked to the nonfiction section. (I'm a little slow, but I'll get it eventually.) Nothing satisfied you there until we discovered the biographies. Suddenly you spied a book called ""The Amazing Mr. Franklin: The Boy Who Read Everything." I saw that look in your eyes, the one you get when you finally find something worth thinking about, when you are finally given a respectable challenge. "Ben Franklin- of course! He was quite an interesting man..." I explained.  

We ended up checking out six books about Ben Franklin.  You have found a new superhero.

Watching Old Yeller
I knew just what would happen, and it did. I wore my soft blue robe for your sake. It is absorbent. Oh my dear boy, I understand.  Your daddy may not, but I do.


For your birthday, we had our first boy sleepover party with 2 of your friends. You boys had so much fun! You are a gracious host- making sure your friends like whatever we are eating or watching.  There was no "I'm-the-birthday-boy-so-there" power trip!  You boys ran like crazy at the gym, ate loads of junk food, and then watched Star Wars.  Judging by sleepovers alone, I say yes, boys are easier than girls.

You seem to know that God gave you smarts, and you don't hesitate to let people know about it (especially your sister Lorraine!) I often hear you say "YES!!! I was right again! I love being right!"

You take school seriously and love getting As.  I think your penmanship is better than mine!  You are curious about how things work. Last week you requested library books on tarantulas and on hybrid cars.  You enjoy your Legos and your circuit board.  You are taking piano lessons and doing well, and I think you enjoy it!  You are the only one of the children who will play the piano when you are not told to practice!

You definitely have your opinions. You love to read, but you most certainly, emphatically, do NOT like onomatopoeia.  ("Mom, do you see where it says 'plop, plop?' I don't like that part.  You read it.")  

When I sort through hand-me-downs, you are close by, making the final call on each piece of clothing. Once, I made the mistake of revealing that I loved a certain blue sweater.  You looked at it and made a face. Then, when you saw my hopeful eyes, you tried to compromise. "Um, well, I guess we can keep it. I will wear it on Saturdays. Only on Saturdays when nobody's coming over."

You'll always be my first baby boy, even when I'm not longer your favorite girl! 
I love you Seth, Happy Birthday!


My God continue to bless and keep you!



No comments: