Giving Thanks (inspired by)


Thanks be to God, Father, Son and Spirit, for the abundance of good things he pours on His children.
We are but few, but His blessings are many.

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Time with the Grandparents

The kids are away with the grandparents this week. I know they are making awesome memories, just like we did last time my mom and dad came down for a visit.

Here are a few of those highlights from their visit last month:


Marcus: Are they coming today? Is it today yet?
With sidewalk chalk they wrote, “we love Nana and Bump!”


  • Eldon running up to Nana with a full-body hug
  • The “good-to-see-you” gift exchange.:
  • For dad: Flamingo and candle. For mom: flower basket. For me: new shirt and body mist. From Aggie to Nana and Bump: approximately 20 beautiful pictures.
  • Mom’s eye-rolling at dad’s slowness.
  • Dad’s head-shaking at mom’s hurry.
  • Dad’s shock, “He’s peeing out on the tree, right in the front yard!” Hearty laughter. “What are you guys, the Clampits?”
  • Dad’s big laughter at one of my favorite kid picture: “You’re the best mom I ever had.” Love, Lorraine.
  • A long kitchen hug with my mom. We really missed each other.
  • Dad’s new car surprise! After driving his Yukon for 300,000 miles (until it finally died on the side of the road), he paid cash for a new Lexus!
  •  Mom folds up the dirty clothes she finds on the floor.
  • Dad and his bag of cheese. (He’s on the Atkins diet.)
  • Josh and dad talking politics over the grill, laughing about our constitutional right to high speed internet.
  • Mom asks me, with politeness, “Don’t you think they should wear shirts, at least into town?” I shrug, whatever. Then I realize she’s being nice and I’m being a hillbilly. I get the shirts.
  • They leave at 8 with the boys for a night in the hotel, breakfast included. Mom wants snacks for them, just in case.
  • My sister calls to make sure they got down here ok. “They’d have a fit if I didn’t call them, but of course they don’t call me!” we laugh.
  •  Mom on the trampoline, shrieking!
  • Mom’s still getting used to our countrified lifestyle. (She asked, “Do they have shoes?” Almost as if she were asking, “Do you even believe in shoes anymore?”)
  • Seth can make it all the way across the pool now!
  • Dad letting Pete sit next to his work area in the kitchen while he chops peppers, onions and mushrooms to go with the steak they brought.
  • Mom walking across the log in the woods.
  • Mom just loved the horse, like we do.
  • Joking about Branson MO, “You'd love it. It’s like an amusement park for old folks,” said Josh 



We leave and we hug goodbye, and they kids ask me when I get in the van, “Why’s nana crying?”
  


Enjoy those precious days with your grandparents, kiddos!

No comments: