Giving Thanks (inspired by)


Thanks be to God, Father, Son and Spirit, for the abundance of good things he pours on His children.
We are but few, but His blessings are many.

Friday, June 8, 2012

Summer Camp Interview

(selected questions and answers! For your own questions, go to How was Summer Camp?)

(This is a long one- but if you only read one question, read question 16!!!)

1.       What did you normally do first thing in the morning? When did you wake up?
I woke up at 7:30 or 7:40. Then we got dressed right away, did our teeth, and went to breakfast at 8:00. Before we went Aden and Karla and Bekah would play tether-ball.

3.      Tell me your favorite foods at camp. Was there anything you didn’t like?
Pizza! And waffles and pancakes and corn dogs (well, I didn’t like the bread. I just ate the dog.)  I didn’t like the stuff with the noodles and the meat and gravy.

6.      Tell me about some of the games you played.
One game was called toilet tag! Smeone was it and if they tagged you you have to sit down with one knee on the ground and one up like a seat and hold your hand up and to get up again someone had to come sit on your knee and flush your hand and that’s called flushing the toilet.
One time we  played garbage ball. There are two teams and then one from the red team goes in the garbage can not a real one, and then one goes in a trash can and then you can only take one step with the ball and throw it at the person on the team and if it touches the ground it is the other team’s ball. If your garbage person catches it then you get to be in the garbage can.

7.      Did you do anything at camp that you have NEVER done before? How did it go?
The ZIP line!!! It was scary at first but then when I got on the zip line when I was going down it I wasn’t as scared as I was when I was looking down. I almost cried at first but then I was laughing on the way back.
Muddy-tug-of- war- I kept on falling down and that mud was cold! And Robin Hood sprayed us with a hose!  Then the mud dried on us and made me stiff, so I walked like a penguin to the lake!

10.  Did you grow closer to any of your other friends?
Yes. All of them.
11.   What did you do after dinner?
After dinner we would go and put our tennis shoes on and then we would have TBA which means to be announced.  It was lots of different games. One of them was called Clue- someone stole the soccer flag and we had to find out who did it, what they did it with, and where it was done. Buzz gave us six clues without us doing anything! And we figured out it was Amanda because of Buzz. So I like Buzz, he’s awesome.
12.  Did you have any snacks?
Yes. I had M&Ms that had peanut butter inside of them, Reese Pieces, a Reese fast break, sour cream and onion lays and then ruffles and BBQ lays, and then an ice cream sandwich. We had 2 canteens a day!

13.  Tell me something you learned about God.
He loves us so much that he would die on the cross for us, and we really deserve to die but he did it for us. It’s like we pushed the button of death but instead of us dying, Jesus dies.

14.  What did you do during rest time?
I drew pictures and I read Stuart Little
15.   Did you read or write anything this week?
I wrote in my journal “Mud pit” and I drew a mud pit with Miami on one side and Shawnee on the other side.

16.  Were you ever scared at night?
Yes. Thursday night we went and raided the canteen and I was so scared that we were going to get caught by the security llamas! Because those llamas, if you get caught you get in BIG TROUBLE. And I mean big, big trouble. I could feel my heart pounding and it felt like I had just been exercising!
We had to sneak and hide in very obvious places which people could find right away, because if we hid in a hard spot the llamas could see us, but they didn’t look in obvious spots.

17.   Did the kids in your cabin get along well?
Yes. Just a couple fights but they ended very soon.
18.  Who were your three favorite staff people?
Tootsie my counselor, Aboo (from last year), and Sarah. Sarah was a girl who helped Bekah when her tummy hurt, and she was in the Sound of Music.
19.  Tell me three of your favorite camp songs.
Joy is the flag flown high in the castle of my heart when the king is in residence there!
Lions! (Oh them lions they can eat m body but they cant – slinky- swallow my soul, no no no; they keep on trying to smash my part but they can’t – slinky- get control.)
Blind man stood by the road and he cried…

20. Did you get any mail or email from anyone? What did they say?
Nana, Bump, Mommy, Daddy, Alyssa, and Miss Schneider. Mostly mommy.
Miss Schneider said howdy Lorraine I can’t wait to hear what you’ve been doing this week! Hope the rain didn’t ruin your fun today! LOL Mary Anne

21.  Tell me a funny story.
Every time we went to the mud pit I would fall down! In the end I was like a mud monster! And me and Josie kept on putting hand prints on each other’s back!


25.  What was campfire like?
They always did a skit and verses and songs and then they would dismiss and I always liked to sit up front because I was always cold at night.

26. Tell me something else you learned during camp devotions.
The fishermen they were fishing on one side and then they saw this man dressed like Jesus and he said to cast your lot on the other side and the man was like ‘he’s crazy,’ but they casted on the other side anyway and then JB said ‘I’ll keep guard’ and then JB fell off the boat with all the fish and they didn’t even know it! And Robin Hood’s like ‘hold on JB I’m telling a story here!” and the girl was like “I can’t hear JB!” and then he was like “oh my goodness!” and then they pulled him up and the found the fish, and they were like ‘wow, how did he do that?!’

27.  Did you ever stay up talking after lights out?
No I always fell asleep right away because I was so tired!
28. If you go to camp again, what do you want to do again next year?
Everything! Except for the mud pit cuz that was really cold and I was so stiff! Well, it was fun but it was cold. Hopefully next year it will be warm.
29. Is there anything you don’t want to do again next year?
No.
30.  Tell me the absolute best thing about camp this year.
Doing the zip line and having free time!

 Photo: Reunion http://instagr.am/p/LoP3a9unf8/

Welcome home, Lorraine!!!
We missed you!!!

Thank you God for giving me a great week at camp! Thank you for the counselors and staff who worked together to make everything happen, and for all the people who give money to camp ministry.  Thank you for the time I got to spend in Your creation, meeting new friends and having fun with old friends. Thank you for all the things I learned from Your Word, and most of all, thank you for the gift of your son Jesus. Amen


Bed arranged beautifully by Aggie


Welcome Home chocolate ice cream, enjoyed by all!







3 comments:

Chiara said...

What a great interview, and a great time! This reminds me of my days at PLCBC!

And, I absolutely love the photo of all the kids hugging Lorraine--that is priceless!

Emily Cook said...

Me too, Chiara!
Summer camp is such a great experience!

I get to go tomorrow with my 6 and 7 year old for an overnight! What fun!

Angie Durnil said...

Isn't it funny all the stories you hear and then when someone else tells what their child experienced, it makes you wonder if they were at the same place? All great stories and experiences but except for the mud pit and the zipline, nothing was the same. Now I have some more questions to ask!
I am so glad our children have such a great place to go and experience God's creation!