Giving Thanks (inspired by)


Thanks be to God, Father, Son and Spirit, for the abundance of good things he pours on His children.
We are but few, but His blessings are many.

Sunday, February 19, 2012

birthday party play by play by play

I have to admit...I really, truly had fun hosting Lorraine's sleepover this weekend.

I was a little worried at first.
You see, I had plenty of planned activities. Or so I thought.

They ran in the door all excited. I told them they had to work for their cake, so I sent them off to the basement to hunt for Rainy-pictures.  They loved that game, and Lorraine was only a little embarrassed by the pirate picture. (She's a good sport.)

Photobucket



They ate the cake, and nobody seemed to notice that it was leaning (other than my husband, of course.)

Photobucket

Note to self, if you make this cake again, make each layer out of 1/3 box of mix, not 1/2. Those pieces were just too big!

Photobucket


Next, present opening.

Photobucket
can I see?

We spun the bottle to see whose turn it was to give her a present. (The boys were still here for this part. When the bottle pointed to Marcus, I told him since he didn't have a present for her, he ought to give her a big sloppy birthday kiss!  He didn't like my idea.)

So we had done our first game, eaten cake, and opened presents.  And what time was it?
only 3:20!!!

This is when I started to worry.
Thank the good Lord, it was beautiful outside. So we went to the park.

Photobucket

That's a good place for pudgy bunny.
Pudgy Bunny is a game that was much more fun in my memory. GAG!!!
(Note to self: don't do this one again!)


Photobucket

The girls also played tag, volleyball, and even football while we were at the park! 

Next, back to the house for game #3: DRAMA BAGS!
(I have to credit pinterest for that one. )

What a  fun idea!  I broke the girls up into groups of 3 and gave each group a bag with random props in it. Their job was to make up a short play using the props. They LOVED this game! 

Photobucket
Hunter Mack on the Scooter. Captured Lorraine behind.


Photobucket
Don't mess with Hope the robber!
Next, pizza. Then, they ran wild while I cleaned up the kitchen.

Then, we did this craft. (Sandpaper crayon T-shirts- another pinterest idea!)

Photobucket

They seemed to think I was going to tell them it was time for PJs and a movie next. (It was dark outside.)

Instead, I told them we had another activity, but only for the very brave... "Who wants to go to the park in the dark?!"

(They almost knocked me over with the happy screaming.)

monkeys 2
Monkeys at night.

We looked at the stars, played tag, which turned into zombie tag, and then headed to the tree house.

tree house


Running down that hill, of course, turned into rolling down the hill.

hold on tight!

I finally thought they were tired enough to being to settle down to a movie. Milkshakes made, and two movies later, the house was quiet. (around 12:30)

They were up again at 6:30am!

Grammy Pammy's fresh energy was a true blessing, especially in the morning. While I drank my coffee and wondered what I had been thinking, she played games with the girls.

"Have you ever ever ever in your long-legged life met a long-legged sailor and his long-legged wife?"

have you ever ever ever (sorry, parents, if you have had to hear this repeatedly since your kids have been home.)

They also loved the Good Question Game!

Good question game!!!

Weird conversations came out of this one, like, "Wouldn't a watermelon hand look weird with a wedding dress?" "NO it would not! Watermelon goes with everything!"

I threw some pancakes at them.
Then, Tickle- Monster (another thanks for Grammy's help with this one! I might have been overcome!)

And "Doggy doggy where's your bone?"

Marcus's poker face
what a poker face, marcus!

Then they packed up their things and had one last frolic outside!

Photobucket



We went back into the park, and they suddenly reminded me of boys, digging in the mud, talking about how things smelled like poop, and daring each other to try to eat those slimy discoveries.
(Don't worry parents, nobody ate anything.)

Photobucket

Then, we had a  quick photo shoot. (moms, I will email you the link for the full album!)

Photobucket


They were all gone by ten.  I am pretty sure I told all the mothers about the t-shirt craft we made and how it should be washed separately the first time, but if I didn't, I'm sorry, and I'm telling you now.

That afternoon, I took a three hour nap. 

Happy Birthday Lorraine!

PS Rumor has it that I am the "Coolest mom ever."
If my fans insist on this level of fun more than once a year, I will be looking to bestow that title upon whatever other mother would like it...

2 comments:

Jeni said...

Ok, so for my 8th b-day my mom said I could have my 1st sleepover. We went BIG and 10 of my best friends over! :) I have no idea what activities we did other than pizza, cake and movies. What I DO remember is one of my friends came flouncing in announcing she had not taken her ridlan (SP!) and proceeded to eat all the sweets she could and bounced off the walls ALL. NIGHT. LONG!!!!!!!! I also remembering going up to my parent's room telling them I NEVER wanted to have such a big sleep over EVER AGAIN! And, I don't think I ever did...lesson learned for all of us! :) SO glad Lorraine had a great b-day!! The girls all looked like they were having fun! I'm sure you ARE the coolest mom EVER! :)

Kat said...

that sounds like the girls had a really good time tell LORRAINE I SAID LOVE HER AN HAPPY BIRTHDAY. Ps. i am sorry i did not call and wish Rain a happy birthday love ya