Giving Thanks (inspired by)


Thanks be to God, Father, Son and Spirit, for the abundance of good things he pours on His children.
We are but few, but His blessings are many.

Monday, August 15, 2011

To Seth, on your first day of kindergarten


               Last night, you cheerfully packed your Cars blanket and your pillow pet so you could use it at rest time at school.  Then, you ran into the office to get another pillow from your bed.  When I tucked you in, you smiled and told me how you found a "big, huge" pillow.  "Look mommy! It's kindergarten sized!"

         I see it in your eyes, son.  You were made for this moment.  You are absolutely ready for the next step in life.  You watch me intently, and the moment I say “go,” you will grab your red backpack and run off with your sisters to school.
First KG paper- He had to get his gorilla
so that he was sure to color it accurately.


I am excited for you and with you, Seth.  You no longer need your mommy like a preschooler.  You moved past that stage many months ago.   I remember when we first moved to White Creek, you just hated crowds and strangers and social activities of any kind.  You would cry, cling to my leg and tried to hide yourself.  Yet we are a pastor’s family, so I had no choice but to inflict the torture of socializing on you on a regular basis. 

The church picnic was yesterday, and you spent no time whatsoever near my leg.  You bounced, you ate, you went for tractor rides and even let Dave teach you how to drive!  You spoke to strangers and adults, you played, and you came home happily exhausted, chattering excitedly about starting school tomorrow.  I can’t help but marvel at the way you have changed over the last two years:

           




Whining changed to stoic endurance, endurance to tolerance, and tolerance to participation, and participation to delight!

                Before you rush off, son, let me pray for you.

Heavenly Father, thank you for this dear child, Seth.  Thank you for blessing me with him five years ago, letting me enjoy him as a baby and a toddler, and using me to help him grow into this big kindergartener.  You have given him an analytical brain, a delight in things mechanical, and an excitement for school.  God continue to make this child grow and bloom.  Sustain His delight in learning and making friends, and protect him during his days of school.  Grow his faith along with his body and mind, and be faithful to Him always, as You have promised.
In Jesus’ name,
Amen.

Alright son, it is time.  A kiss, a hug, an I-love-you....
and finally those words:

On your mark, get set, Go!

Off to school!




No comments: