Giving Thanks (inspired by)


Thanks be to God, Father, Son and Spirit, for the abundance of good things he pours on His children.
We are but few, but His blessings are many.

Thursday, September 24, 2009

a day in the life of the cook kids



Every so often I try to do a "day in the life" project- I carry the camera with me everywhere and chronicle even the most normal, mundane parts of our days. I aim to have a snapshot of what life was like during this crazy period of time- I know so many things that we do everyday will be forgotten about in time. I envision us watching in the future with lots of "OH I forgot about that!" and other things.

This normal day started out at 530am for me (Ok that's a little earlier than normal but Eldon is teething.) After getting up with him every hour during the night, he got up wanting to play at 530 and I just gave in. He stayed up for a bit while I drank my coffee then passed out on the carpet and slept soundly for a good hour. Figures!

Our morning was busy as usual, getting the kids around-school for Lorraine and chapel for the rest of us. We attempted to be a little less conspicuous at chapel this time by sitting in the balcony... I don't think it helped! Marcus just has NO clue what "quiet" means! We attempted to go to the playground afterwards but it was too wet even for me with puddles under the swing and everything.

Once we got home my "day in the life" video project idea fell completely out of my brain for a couple hours. The kids played while I baked cookies for family fun night. Of course the helped by licking bowls and spoons clean when I was done!

Naptime comes none too soon, around 1230 lately, and I got my blessed few hours of peace and quiet. I worked on a present for Aggie's birthday, sent a few emails, and did some housework.

Lorraine comes home from school at three and usually wakes up the house as she tells me about ALL the AWESOME things she did at school! (like RECESS and STORY TIME and PLAYING WITH HER FRIENDS!!!) Daddy came home and worked on the scooter with the boys while I played with the girls and Eldon inside. I am amazed that he got the scooter working. It is the very same one he used to drive to work BEFORE he had his driver's license! It's a little smelly, but of course the kids thought it was just great!!! Notice the pictures of Lorraine and Marcus by the GTI- they were "hiding" while daddy was gone- Lorraine was attempting to teach Marcus the meaning of "quiet!" I don't think she had much more luck than I usually do!

After the scooter ride came dinner, baths, and of course, dancing. Their favorite CD at the moment is Laurie Berkner's "Rocketship Run."

Of course there was some resistance at bedtime as usual. After Aggie's several pottie trips, making sure the closet door was shut and the hall light was on, setting up the girls bedtime stories on my ipod, wrestling Marcus and Seth into bed, getting out clothes for the next day, and locating the various blankets and buddies that each one needs to sleep, our house was quiet again.

No, it wasn't really- actually it was full of muffled giggles, bangs on the walls, whispers, more giggles... but after 8pm I am off duty, so I just pretend I don't hear!

Thank you Lord, for normal days!

No comments: