Giving Thanks (inspired by)


Thanks be to God, Father, Son and Spirit, for the abundance of good things he pours on His children.
We are but few, but His blessings are many.

Monday, December 8, 2008

Advent Thoughts from Pastor Dan

Pastor Dan has been sending out weekly devotions for some time now. I found this one to be especially thought-provoking.

2 Peter 3: 9 "The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance.”

I remember Christmas as a child. The four candles on the Advent wreath defined eternity for me. I thought that the four weeks of Advent would last forever and that Christmas would never come. Looking forward to something wonderful can make time stand still. As we wait for the coming of the Lord, our anticipation of eternal life with our Lord may have a similar effect. Our sins are forgiven by Jesus through His death on the cross. We have nothing to fear in eternity, only God’s joy to receive in full measure. With this as our future, it is easy to become impatient for God’s promise to be fulfilled today. But, because of God’s Word I have a different perspective. In a sense, God waited for me, as did His church. When I was baptized my Savior gave me His Holy Spirit and His Saints in light rejoiced along with my congregation, and my parents. And so, it is now my joy to wait with my Savior and with His church for all those who are still to come. This last Saturday I baptized a little girl. My Lord was waiting for her. And as I saw her receive God’s promise in baptism, time has begun to move again, and all too quickly. For, I long with my Lord for all to reach repentance. I can wait for others, for my Lord and His people waited for me. May God’s patient love inspire your faithful witness to Jesus throughout the Advent season. For the blessings that God has given to us, are blessing that he intends for all nations. Pastor Dan Johnson (St. Paul's Hillsdale)

No comments: