Giving Thanks (inspired by)


Thanks be to God, Father, Son and Spirit, for the abundance of good things he pours on His children.
We are but few, but His blessings are many.

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

a season of gratitude

"As parents you may not realize it, but somewhere along the way you tend to take your children into yourself, as if they were really yours. We forget that our children our first of all God's—on loan from us for only a season.” (my father-in-law)


If there is anything I have learned from this ordeal with Aggie so far it is this. Of course on some level we all know this is true, but it is so easy to forget as we live day to day. As I researched epilepsy and began to genuinely fear for Agnes's life, I became painfully aware of this truth again. I realized that God most certainly could take Aggie home to him- and though this would feel like an INJUSTICE beyond anything I could imagine, I would have no ground on which to stand and complain.

It is so easy to let our problems completely block our vision- like a huge black bowling ball one inch from our eyes that completely blocks our vision. Some days I let my worries about Aggie interfere with hundreds of little moments that I could have been enjoying her, making memories with her and the other children, serving and loving those around me. Instead I let fears of the future take hold of my mind- I did not think of my Father who is caring for me today and who has promised to care for me in any kind of future.

These kids of mine sure are good at helping me live in the present. We have been doing a cornucopia and adding things each day that the children are thankful for (the picture above.) I just have to laugh when I look at them: “That you Jesus for wrestle time with daddy.” “Thank you Jesus for my snuggly bed.” “Thank you Jesus for superman PJ's” “Thank you Jesus for doors.”

These kids get the picture better than I do some days! They are learning to see every little thing in their lives, right down to the chocolate milk, as blessings directly from the hand of God. They do not forget that God cares for them- all they have to do is look around!
As Martin Luther asks- who can properly give thanks to God for the blessing of one healthy hand, or one day with air to breathe? Our Father gives these things freely and faithfully, and we forget that they are gifts and see them as entitlements! Then when one thing goes wrong, we throw temper tantrums and doubt God's goodness to us.

O give thanks to the Lord, for he is good. His steadfast love endures forever.

My prayer for all of us this Thanksgiving: May God grant us eyes to see His bountiful blessings that surround us each and every day. May we see the kindness of others, the love of family, the warm turkey and mashed potatoes, and even the very air we breathe as blessings directly from His hand. May He fill our hearts with gratitude for His unfailing love and goodness.

Have a blessed Thanksgiving!

No comments: