Giving Thanks (inspired by)


Thanks be to God, Father, Son and Spirit, for the abundance of good things he pours on His children.
We are but few, but His blessings are many.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

KG open house

 Seth, a special evening with you tonight:  the kindergarten open house.

Peter was sick, so daddy and all the others stayed home while you and I had a night out at the open house.  It was just you and me and three bottles of 7up:  a very light load.You were so excited to show me around the room.  You pointed out your polka dot sock art, your gorilla, and your person (with a red shirt, and blue eyes.)  You showed me your seat, next to Gus and across from Addy.  You got a snack, and asked me if you could have some Coke.  "It's your special open house night, honey.  Sure you can have some Coke."  You gave me a surprised half-smile and then happily went off for your Coke.

You played loudly with the blocks and the boys for awhile.  Before long you became concerned for me, looked to see where I was chatting with adults, and begged me to stay by you.  We sat at your little table while you colored me a pumpkin picture.


Back and forth you bounced, from friends to mom and back again, until it was time to go.  

You noticed it was dark out, and smiled big when I told you that yes, the other boys are probably in bed already.  You held my hand as we walked home in the near dark.  "Mommy, I love Kindergarten.  I love Kindergarten open houses even more, when there's no work and we just go to play.  And I love Coke too."  You continued to count your blessings until you saw the bright pink sky behind our house-- you squeezed my hand tight as you said, "Oh mommy! Can we sit on the swing and watch the sunset?" 

Also reluctant to end our quiet mommy-date, I said yes.  We snuggled on the swing in the cool air for about 90 seconds.  Then you were ready to go in and finish the spider picture you'd started at the open house.


We entered the house, and I again  picked up my heavy load (sick baby, arguing boys, long todo list, missing stuffed animals...)  You finished your spider, then proudly brought it to me along with your pumpkin, making sure I noticed the inscription on the back:


"These are for you, Mommy, because you and me had so much fun tonight."



 I love little big kids. :)


No comments: