Giving Thanks (inspired by)


Thanks be to God, Father, Son and Spirit, for the abundance of good things he pours on His children.
We are but few, but His blessings are many.

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

scarecrows and screaming

We made two scarecrows this year- what fun!

Lorraine asked “mommy whose clothes are these?” as we filled up the large pair of overalls. “Mr. Hercamp gave us these clothes to make a scarecrow, isn't that nice?” “Yes but...” (Silence...) “did he leave with no clothes on?”

Agnes once could say “Cinderella” without any problem, but her teasing daddy put “Cinder-lella” in her mind and now she can't seem to get it out again. If she concentrates REALLY hard she can get closer.. CinderrrrrrLELLA!

Seth is quite sensitive lately about people laughing at him. Because of that he generally refrains from dancing with the other kids, especially if someone is watching. I absolutely love those rare moments when he forgets to be self-conscious. He watches the other kids and starts to smile despite himself... then, almost against his will his body moves with the beat, he joins his siblings in their party. I must remember not to draw attention to it by saying something like “See Seth, dancing really IS fun!” If I do, he will be SHOCKED to find himself actually dancing, and immediately remember his former standards of decorum, and hide his red face while he vows to himself that he will never, never forget himself like that again.

Marcus's new favorite phrase is an indignant “Mommy says!”

Daddy says, “Marcus no, you can't get up on the couch right now.” Marcus insists, “Mommy says!”

If Lorraine says, “Marcus no I don't want to wrestle right now!” Marcus climbs on her back and yells, “Mommy says!”

No other explanation needed- the mere mention of Mommy ought to win the argument in his mind!

Eldon is working on his fourth tooth already. He is also developing his one hundred and fifty-second opinion. I don't think I have ever had a baby with such horribly strong opinions at this age before. (Marcus and Aggie had some of this but not nearly as dramatic- OH NO!) He absolutely must sleep on his side sucking two fingers. He likes yogurt but HATES potatoes. He loves swinging but HATES the stroller. He loves chewing on a sippy cup but SCREAMS at the very sight of a bottle. And in some of his moods, he must be touching his mommy at all times- if he is out of arm's reach he SCREAMS BLOODY MURDER. So he works in the kitchen with me, where I found yet another opinion: if he's not in arms reach AND at eye level he SCREAMS BLOODY MURDER. No, he most certainly will not play on the floor by my feet!


By now I am pretty good at doing most things one handed, but every now and then I do have to set him down. So, on these lovely moody days of teething, every time I go to the bathroom, he SCREAMS. Every time I bring food to the table for a meal, he SCREAMS. Every time I change Marcus's diaper, he SCREAMS. Every time I button Seth's shirt or tie a shoe, he SCREAMS. As soon as I pick him up, he's happy again. He has developed quite the grip on my left arm- I probably could walk around not even holding him and just let him hang there like a koala.


He is trying to get around already, which I have finally started to encourage in hopes he will spend more time making messes in the house and less time SCREAMING BLOODY MURDER!





Who, me?

2 comments:

Ann H. said...

Your account of Eldon and his HAVING to be held by you all the time sounds JUST like Ryan! Boy, that was trying. He cried every time I had to do something with two hands. He still does sometimes, if he's in a "mood" and wants to be held. Then nothing else is acceptable. When I'm in the middle of cooking dinner and Greg isn't home, it is very hard to take the screaming...

Emily Cook said...

Ann... please tell me, when did it ever stop???? :)