Giving Thanks (inspired by)


Thanks be to God, Father, Son and Spirit, for the abundance of good things he pours on His children.
We are but few, but His blessings are many.

Monday, September 10, 2012

Naptime notes to my boys


I got to drive you to school, just you and me today, Marcus. Your dad stayed home with the little ones. You said “I love school mom,” and I smiled because yesterday you hated it, or you said you did. I know you love it, but I try not to dwell on it because you hate that, and that makes you hate everything.  As we drove, you saw birds, and you asked me, “Why do birds like to sit on the power lines?” After muttering something about how much they can see from up there, I broke into song. “Why do birds suddenly appear… every time…you are near? Just like me, they long to be, close to you.”  You smiled, knowing I was teasing but meaning it at the same time. As we got closer to school you told me to stop singing. As if you would be embarrassed by your mother! I stopped singing that song, and I said, “Ok Marcus, but just let me ask you this question- are you a man, or are you a muppet?” And I belted song number two. You tried not to laugh as you hit me and shushed me.  I did shush, after I had my fill of teasing and you had your fill of smacking and laughing.   I reminded you that you had an egg in your bag for show-n-tell. It was a plastic egg, but I told you it was a rotten egg and you could stink up your class with it. Your eyes danced, and you grabbed it, knowing I was teasing you but hoping I had really somehow figured out how to make a plastic egg into a stink bomb. Not yet, Marcus. I’ll leave that one for you to figure out someday.


Peter.

 You heard me belt out “Go potty for naps!” and you started running frantically. I was downstairs finishing up laundry, so you shut the door on me, as if a shut door would really be a roadblock between your mommy and naptime. “Nice try Pete, but mommy is so big, I know how to open doors all by myself!” I opened the door and you were there grinning big, waiting for me to chase you. You ran and I grabbed you, changed you through your wiggles, and wrapped you in your fresh-from-the-dryer blankie. I laid you in bed and you yelled BLANKIE! “You have your blankie!” I said. “Oh, you mean your pillow pet?” “Blankie!” You said, giggling happily because I understood. I got it for you and gave you sloppy cheek kisses. “Tuck! TUCK!” You screamed. “OH, tuck you?” I asked. More giggles, and I tucked you wildly. You bounced your last bounces, then succumbed to the nap.  Goodnight, wild child!



You went to bed in tears, Eldon, after a rough and tired morning. It wasn’t your fault that your brothers kept you up late last night. But your tiredness made all conflict ugly today. Conflict with your brother, your shoes, your food, and your mother: all of these erupted in frustrated screams and tears.  Daddy put you down for your nap before the others.  You needed sleep much more than you needed lunch, and you made that plain to us all. After I fed the others, I checked on the laundry and found your special blanket in the dryer. Fresh, warm, smelling of bounce sheets. I snuck upstairs with it. You were sleeping soundly, and I hoped that your dreams soothed away the trials of the morning.  I gently covered you with your fresh-from-the-dryer blankie. Sleep well, dear one. May you wake soothed and comforted.




No comments: