Giving Thanks (inspired by)


Thanks be to God, Father, Son and Spirit, for the abundance of good things he pours on His children.
We are but few, but His blessings are many.

Monday, April 9, 2012

To Eldon, on your third birthday

Dear Eldon,
You are going to love age three.  I can't wait to see how you grow and change in this coming year!

You are my little buddy right now, my constant shadow and "helper." 
Every morning when I gather the laundry, you see me and come running. 
"Make it go wishy-washy?" you ask. 
I say, "Yes, do you want to watch?"
You run towards me yelling "Yaaaaay!"

me close it?






You help me load the machine, excitedly pointing out the things you recognize. "That's Rainy's! That's daddy's shirt!"  Once, when we put in your beloved Elmo socks, you looked at me with worried eyes and asked, "Hurt Elmo?"
"No honey, it doesn't hurt Elmo. It just makes him clean and fresh."
"Clean and fresh!" you cheered, and you did a little dance.

Washing your blanket is still something of a wrestling match inside your little heart. You are always eager to get it clean, especially if you can see a spot on it, but once it is in the water you worry and worry until it is done. 
"Blankie all clean?" Not yet, honey.
"Clean and fresh?" pretty soon.
"Nice and dry?"  A few more minutes.
And so it goes until it is nice and dry and clean and fresh. Then, finally, arrives the moment when we take it out of the dryer. You hug blankie like he is your long-lost best friend on the world, singing "All clean! all clean!"


I love how you appreciate soft things right now, like blankie, your two pillow pets, Elmo, and even Tigger:


You gave me a huge compliment the other day when you asked for my hand. I gave it to you, and as we walked along you patted the top of my hand and said, "Mommy soft."

I can't resist adding this picture of you:


You are so proud of your big-boy accomplishments!  You love your underoos (especially your Elmos, or any of Elmo's friends!)  Sometimes I try to put them on your head in the morning, and you think that is hilarious but you refuse to keep them there. "No mama. Elmo butt!!!"

You still have opinions about many things, and very strong opinions at times!  You do not fall to the ground in fits as much any more, but you still know how to give a good ugly face:


Sometimes it is completely phony!


Your sisters still think you are adorable, and you like that they think that.
They read you books, and try to keep you out of trouble.
You don't always love that.


Last night Aggie slept in your bed with you. She said "Mommy Eldon was such a good little boy! He's so sweet! Can I sleep with him again tonight?"
When you are feeling especially kind, you even share a corner of your blankie with them.
That melts my heart!

You and your brothers are the best of "frenemies!"


Sometimes I don't even try to sort out who teased who and who hit and who broke what and who bit a chunk out of which arm...

But sometimes, you get along great, and all you need at the end of the day is a bath and a hug.


Mom loves you so much! Happy happy third birthday!!!



May God bless and keep you,
wrapped in the soft love of your family,
and safe in the love of Jesus.


"I will never leave you nor fosake you!"


3 comments:

Leah said...

Happy Birthday Eldon. Three is a great age! I think it's one of the best. :)

Leah said...

I just realized... is today his birthday? If so, he's birthday twins with my daughter Lily who turned one today.

Emily Cook said...

actually it was april 8- Easter this year! But I wanted to do his birthday separate- my mommy brain can't handle both at once :)

Happy birthday Lily!