Giving Thanks (inspired by)


Thanks be to God, Father, Son and Spirit, for the abundance of good things he pours on His children.
We are but few, but His blessings are many.

Sunday, November 14, 2010

easy love

Snuggly soft skin, breathing you in
Siblings think all you do is sleep;
They hurry the days of walking and playing
I admire your tiny hand, sleepily resting on my arm
and wish the clock's hands were as calm as yours



The time will come for crawling and walking and wrestling
for temper tantrums and standing in the corner
for reading books and picking battles
for teaching, protecting, and letting go.
It will come, is coming quickly

For this moment, your favorite place in the world is in my arms,
next to my skin
There is no conflict between us, no hard lessons to learn
You need only know the most basic thing: that you are loved
And for now, loves comes from me easily, naturally, effortlessly
You receive it and return it in your simple ways
with each coo and smile,
small contented sigh,
wrapped softly in blankets and arms

I hold you close, while I can
Savoring these dwindling rocking-chair days.


Self- soothing can wait.
We soothe each other.

1 comment:

Ann H. said...

That's beautiful, Emily. I'm feeling that now with Caleb.