Giving Thanks (inspired by)


Thanks be to God, Father, Son and Spirit, for the abundance of good things he pours on His children.
We are but few, but His blessings are many.

Monday, February 20, 2012

To Lorraine, on your ninth birthday


You and I are very close at heart right now.  I loved our Secret Keeper Girl dates this year (especially the tea party!)  And I hope we get to do that again this spring and summer.  I love our secret journal.



I love your soft heart for babies. I love that you are quick to encourage.  I love that you enjoy babysitting your little brothers.  I love when you tease me and force me to lighten up. I love when you read with me on the swing.  I love that you journal in your tree, just like I once did. I love that beautiful days in the woods make you want to sit and write. I love smashing snowballs on your neck, but I am not sure I love that you are suddenly big enough to get me back.


I love that you know when I need encouragement.

                The other night I was getting ready for your big birthday party. You were taking FOREVER to do your homework, as usual.  I was trying to clean the basement with little ones underfoot when you came down to see me. “Lorraine, what do you need? Are you done with your homework YET?”
                “No, mommy, I just wanted to give you something.”
                “OK honey, what is it? I need to get these floors done.”
                “Mom, first you have to promise me you won’t give it back, OK?”
                I was pretty sure you were going to give me a precious piece of your Valentine’s Day chocolate or maybe a sucker nobody else wanted. “OK,” I said.
                You held out your hands, “Mommy, I just wanted to say thank you for all the work you are doing for my party.”  In my hands you put every single one of your pennies.  Then you gave me a hug, said “Thanks” again, and ran off to finish your homework.

                Daughter, you bless and encourage me more than you realize.


                Another day I was frustrated with the squabbling boys and overwhelmed with the little things I had to get done. You asked me to listen to your piano, and for once, I did. The others were quiet for that minute, so I snuck in the music room, shut the door behind me and collapsed on the couch while you played.


                I expected a moment’s rest for my feet, but was surprised by the rest you provided to my soul.  Hymns, from the heart and fingers of my daughter, soothed and uplifted me.  

My little girl, when did you get big enough to be such a blessing to your own mother?


I see nine years of God’s work, and already, I am stunned by the beauty.


Happy Birthday Lorraine.
Love, mom

No comments: