Giving Thanks (inspired by)


Thanks be to God, Father, Son and Spirit, for the abundance of good things he pours on His children.
We are but few, but His blessings are many.

Sunday, November 22, 2009

boys!

Marcus had a rough week- he started out one morning falling out of bed. It's not that unusual that someone falls out of bed, of course, but this time it was a little worse than normal. Josh heard the THUD around 530 and got up with him. He did just as I would have done, "Hey honey you just fell out of bed, you're ok" pat on the head, "get back in bed now goodnight." Well when I got up at 630 we saw his head:


Apparently he'd landed on his train! There was blood on his pillow and his cut was really quite nasty! Josh had to shave his head down a little to get to it (now he has a "high and tight"), he cleaned it out, put peroxide on it etc. Marcus hadn't been complaining about it until daddy got involved, and of course he hated the cleaning process. So most of the week he pointed to his head and said, "Daddy hurt me!"

"AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" screamed Seth. (There is no middle ground with his cries of distress- every one makes it sound like he will have to be rushed to the hospital.) He was having trouble with one of his toys and decided to try fixing the problem with screams. Daddy jumped in and got the toy working right, saying “See Seth, rather than screaming, we can use the brains God gave us to figure out what is going on and fix it.” Seth took the toy back and said humbly, “But daddy, my brains aren't very strong yet.”


Actually Seth's brains are getting quite "strong." He's really interested in phonics and spelling and is actually reading a little bit! (I guess Josh's brother taught himself to read before he was four too!) His spelling interest is almost on the compulsive side, and he doesn't seem to know when it is inappropriate to focus on it. For example, "Seth! We just talked about this- you must NOT hit your brother! Do you understand me?!?!" "Mommy! Hit has an H in it! HIT... and a T!"

Eldon is still as sparky as ever. He wants to stand all the time, and can actually cruise along the couch a bit. These new abilities make him slightly more content to be on the floor rather than on my hip, at least in certain moods. He still screams bloody murder when he's in his highchair waiting for his food. Yesterday I was feeling a bit immature, so as I got his food around I started yelling right back at him, imitating his scream to him. His scream immediately turned into laughter. What a faker!



Marcus loves to call people by their last names. We watched the movie UP the other day and at his favorite parts he would yell, “Schneider, LOOK!” The other day Aunt Mary Anne came by to drop off something and as she walked away he put his pathetic face on the window and cried “Schneider house! Schneider house!!!!!!” as he beat on the glass.

He is definitely a charming kid. Often he crawls up on the couch next to me, puts his arm around me and said “I love you mommy.” Yesterday after he said that he looked at the people sitting on the other couch and said. “I love Schneider too. And I love Vandercar too.” What a kid!


(above) Eldon just loves being on of the guys!

One morning Eldon was watching me put the laundry in, sitting on the basement floor by my feet on a rug. I noticed he was chewing on something that looked like a small stick, so after I put the clothes in I grabbed it out of his mouth...

was it a stick? noooo, much, much worse! it was a dead, dried up earthworm!


That earthworm got me thinking of all the nasty things the kids have eaten at some point- it is amazing kids survive childhood sometime! Here's the short list:

Lorraine: sidewalk chalk, carpet cleaner, cat food (she smelled like fish all day!)

Aggie: a live cricket (she jumped when it wiggled and took it out of her mouth. apparently even babies know food is not supposed to move.), hair from a stuffed Elmo

Seth: chewed and swallowed four christmas lights

Marcus: where do I start? the worst one that comes to mind: drank black sandbox water that had been sitting, rotting with leaves and who knows what else for days...

Of course they have all tried the normal things: sand, leaves, dog food, dust bunnies, old chicken nuggets they find in the car, shoes, rocks, grass

Hmmm... has my perception of "normal" changed over the years?

No comments: