Giving Thanks (inspired by)


Thanks be to God, Father, Son and Spirit, for the abundance of good things he pours on His children.
We are but few, but His blessings are many.

Thursday, December 4, 2008

Advent begins!

The countdown has started- I just LOVE this time of year! This year we are picking one 'ornament' off our little tree each day until Christmas day. The ornament is a little Scripture verse which we read during devotions, then glue on a train car and post in the kitchen. Yes, I do have a tendency to make things complicated.... (you should see my list of Christmas crafts to do with the kids!) but so far we are having fun with it!

I must say it especially fun to have toddlers this time of year. Especially Lorraine, who shares in the BLISS of every little holiday memory with me. The day after we put up the tree, Lorraine got up before everyone else, got some books about Christmas, and sat by the tree to read them by only the lights of the tree (it was still very dark out.) Yesterday before she came home from school I made sure to turn on every Christmas light in the house AND play Christmas music. When she got home, we made hot chocolate and cuddled on the couch to listen to the lovely music.

In the meantime, Marcus loves stealing ornaments off the tree. So far nobody has eaten any Christmas lights, though Marcus did try to eat a Christmas bulb. Seth loves all the chocolate in the house all the time, and Agnes is a huge fan of rainbow candy canes. Today we finger painted with fake spray snow (I had to mop the floors anyway, so why not?) I do hope we get SOME real snow here in Indiana- the blizzard that came as we were leaving Michigan on monday sure did make everything beautiful up there!

Advent is a time of excitement and anticipation- and toddlers sure know how to live with excitement! Praying everyone reading this gets a taste of this kind of JOY and excitement during this busy season!

2 comments:

Jeni said...

I also love advent!!! I can't wait to have our little one be around next year at Christmas. I love reading your ideas and my sister's about what you all do with your kids to make things extra special! :) Thanks for the ideas!! :)

Mark, Gretchen and Kendrick said...

Oh my has it really been nearly a year since Seth ate the Christmas lights??